Faculty Club Board Meeting Minutes March 1, 2019

Faculty Club Board Meeting Minutes

March 1, 2019

 

Present: Xan Johnson, Eleanor Divver, Roxine Lawton, Jane Laird, Mohammed Mirfakhrai, Gillian Tufts, Judith Warner, Man Hung

Ex-Officio: David Morrison, David Pendell, John Burton, Jill Moriearty

Excused: Ashok Tuteja

 

Xan Johnson presiding, meeting began at 4:04p

Board Business

  • Minutes, motion made to approve, 2nd and passed
  • President’s report
    • Harriet Hopf was come to meeting today, did not attend
      • Concern re emails to general faculty
      • Did not happen, no response to FC e-mails
    • Updates from the Vision subcommittee
      • Judith reported
        • Want to explain why the FC is important to the faculty and University community and what we can add – what is our (FC) purpose
        • Touchdown space, modeled on Medical School touchdown space
        • Need to know what our budget will be
          • Based on what happens with the cabin
        • Our current activities use the monies the FC has
      • Reviewed Dan Reed’s (Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs) office
        • United Campus vision
        • What can the FC add
        • Ie a hub for faculty
      • Passed P-card audit
      • President report
      • VP office for the FC budget and annual support – Sandy Hughes very helpful
      • To have memo
      • Have met in the past to present the budget in meeting but not in paper form
      • Xan will make appt with Sandy to discuss and present
        • Jane will make the appt
        • By March 23rd
      • Xan to call next week re what the VP office wants for budget report
        • How detailed
        • Ie just by events or more detailed re food, alcohol, entertainment etc
      • Secretary
      • Secretary to send out mission statement and vision subcommittee minutes
      • Gillian will do 1 week before each meeting
      • Voting on lection
      • Jane can do
      • Call for nominations
      • Nomination vetted first, ie checked against membership
      • These nominations placed
      • Judith and Gillian to be reupped, both are willing
      • Need to announce tonight
      • Here is the current status
        • Eleanor will continue as social director, through 2020
          • Over next year, need to orient new Social Director
        • Emeriti, appointed for one-year terms
          • John Burton, David Pendell, Dave Morrison, Jill Moriearty
        • 2016-2019 term
          • Gillian Tufts
          • Judith Warner
        • 2017-2020 term
          • Roxine/Evert Lawton
          • Ashok Tuteja
          • Susie Sanderson – resigned
          • Yuan Ji – resigned
        • 2018 to 2020 term
          • Eleanor Divver, appointed by Xan and board to replace Yuan Ji
        • 2018 – 2021 term
          • Xan Johnson, re-elected
          • Mohammad Mirfakhrai, re-elected
          • Man Hung 2018- 2021, elected
        • Jill met with the Archives folks
          • In the works

 

Treasurer Report

  • Currently at $9663, to-date
    • Marriott paid now for November social
    • February social included here
      • $615 alcohol billing

 

Social events

  • Snowshoeing
    • 4 members and 1 non-member showed up
    • Beautiful day, saw a moose
    • Pictures now on the website
  • Monthly Marriott fee
    • Stable
    • $1650 monthly, includes the tip (10% for the wait staff)
      • $30 per meal for 50 meals
    • This was the negotiated fee (the tip fee was negotiated down from 23%)
    • Has really been a more relaxed time now, enough food!
    • Now on Health Sciences Weekly Round-up!
  • Pizza with basketball game
    • Enough food (21 pizzas)
    • 45 had RSVP
  • Once preview (at Pioneer) at 40 so far
    • Extended request to 50 tickets – 41 showed up
    • A number emailed after saying how much they enjoyed the play
    • Need to send thank you! Xan will send the thank you
  • Late Spring and Summer activities – lots of ideas
    • Moh suggesting weekly hikes
      • Plan for different trials each week
      • Wildflower hike
        • Roxanne will check out and set date
      • Pickle Ball
        • Courts up on 11th avenue
        • Moh can do
      • Gallery Strolls
        • Jill suggesting – will monitor for the schedule and let FC know
        • Could meet and wander through as a group
        • At downtown, at Gateway
        • Begin in summer, so schedule should be out soon
      • Pub crawl
        • Jane will check out
      • Picnic?
        • Could do during the summer
        • Sugarhouse park, rent a Pavillion?
        • BBQ??
        • Never decided who will do – address at next meeting
      • Beer tasting
        • Late summer?
        • Low cost
        • Eleanor to check with folks who put it on last year
      • Softball
        • Can set the date
        • Ie ASU or Washington games
      • Fall activities
        • Xan reviewed potential UVU play
      • Coming up later in spring
        • Business meeting in early May
          • Last year done on Sunday because Saturday conflict
          • Noted less attending
          • Planning for the May 4th this year (Saturday)
        • Need to send out invite
          • ?? David Pendell to do the invite flyer – Eleanor to check
          • Need to send the info re where, when and who to respond to
          • Send to Eleanor and Judith
          • Then gets fixed, then Judith sends to FC listserve, an editor will double check it to “release” it
        • Judith and Anna Naylor with deal with the RSVPs

 

Next FC Board meeting: April 5th, 2019, 4p Marriott Hotel

Meeting adjourned at 4:52pm