Faculty Club Board Minutes Feb 2019

Faculty Club Board Meeting Minutes

February 1, 2019

 

Present: Xan Johnson, Eleanor Divver, Roxine Lawton, Jane Laird, Mohammed Mirfakhrai, Gillian Tufts, Judith Warner, Ashok Tuteja

Ex-Officio: David Morrison, David Pendell, John Burton, Jill Moriearty

Excused: Man Hung

 

Xan Johnson presiding, meeting began at 4:04p

Board Business

  • Minutes, motion made to approve, 2nd and passed
  • Updates from the Vision subcomittee
    • Judith has attempted to contact Harriet Hopf – no response X2
      • Advertising re the Faculty Club existence and events
      • Xan will stop by to check in with Harriet Hopf
    • Xan has also talked
      • with Ruth Watkins re the importance of social connections between faculty
      • Spoke with Jim Ecuiter (over Sill Center) re hubs for faculty to promote social engagement on across campus
        • Faculty Club can be and is a “hub”
        • Can we promote other “hubs” located on campus
        • Discussion ensued that Faculty club is in a good position to promote hubs and social connections, including Emeriti faculty
      • Discussed history of faculty club space in the Student Union. Rick was manager of the Student Union in the past, he reported to Judith re the faculty club space and how it went away after “cabin” was built and that the space for interacting was moved to the cabin
      • Judith reviewed the Medical School touch down space. Reviewed the type of spaces available (differing size rooms), how people do use the space. Also reviewed some of the difference in use may be related to age and who’s more comfortable with solely laptop use and not needing an office.
    • Idea to promote Faculty club
      • FC cards with name and website
      • Would be good for board members to have to pass out to other faculty at opportune times
      • Judith to layout
      • Jane to then send to U of U print shop
    • Yuan Ji has resigned from the board
    • Coming up in April
      • Judith brought up no VP had been nominated last summer during the elections for board members, elections are again coming up
      • Judith will take on role of VP (dependent on Eleanor’s willingness to continue as social director)
      • Eleanor will continue as social director
      • Here is the current status
        • Emeriti, appointed for one-year terms
          • John Burton, David Pendell, Dave Morrison, Jill Moriearty
        • 2016-2019 term
          • Gillian Tufts
          • Judith Warner
        • 2017-2020 term
          • Roxine/Evert Lawton
          • Ashok Tuteja
          • Susie Sanderson – resigned
          • Yuan Ji – resigned
        • 2018 to 2020 term
          • Eleanor Divver, appointed by Xan and board to replace Yuan Ji
        • 2018 – 2021 term
          • Xan Johnson, re-elected
          • Mohammad Mirfakhrai, re-elected
          • Man Hung 2018- 2021, elected
        • Issue of reminding the board re monthly meetings
          • Gillian will do 1 week before each meeting (has already made Outlook reminder) : )
        • Archives of Faculty Club events
          • Fliers
          • Minutes

 

Treasurer Report

  • Currently at $13,654.55
  • Marriott not paid yet, for November social (2381.50)

 

Social events

  • Pizza with basketball game – need to RSVP, 40 so far
  • Once preview (at Pioneer) at 40 so far — Xan will recheck if more slots are available
    • 8 on waiting list
  • Moh suggesting 2 events
    • Indoor pickle ball
    • Snowshoeing event, Sunday February 24th – Moh will send and confirm the time, date and location
      • Eleanor suggesting Brighton (called the Solitude Center)
      • Rentals available
      • Good spot to meet
      • Could also cross country or skate ski
    • Coming up later in spring
      • Business meeting in early May
        • Last year done on Sunday because Saturday conflict
        • Noted less attending
        • Planning for the May 4th this year (Saturday)

 

Ongoing agenda items

  1. Jill recommended that we get a memo from the Marriott stating ok to have kids attending with ETOH present – Xan to do
  2. New ideas: Name tags for regular attendees – Placed back on Dave, to work on flow for these

 

 

Next FC Board meeting: March 1st, 2019, 4p Marriott Hotel

Meeting adjourned at 4:55pm