February 2016 Board Minutes

Faculty Club Board Meeting Minutes

February 5, 2016

 

Present: David Morrison, Judith Warner, Gillian Tufts, Joe Cunniff, Eleanor Divver, Pat Ashok Tuteja, Xan Johnson

Ex-Officio: John Burton, David Pendell, Art Lipman

Excused: Alison Crum, Pat Shea,

 

Joseph Cunniff presiding; meeting began 4:05p

Board Business

  • Recruitment, send out cascading email to Dean of schools
    • Feb 17 to 22nd to Dean’s of schools
    • Mail postcard to all faculty and emerti
      • We will need to cover the cost of postage
      • We do have enough money to cover the cost of printing
    • Need to include why faculty should join the Faculty club, reminded this is on the Faculty Club website
    • Those with kids are less likely to join
      • Joe suggesting to do more kid-friendly activities
    • Used March Social to promote membership
      • St Patrick’s theme
      • Contest to see who can bring the most colleagues to the Social
      • Prizes
        • 1st Night at presidential suite (at Marriott)
        • 2nd gift certificate to the Marriott
        • 3rd bottle of wine / Selection of fine chocolate
      • Support staff: Shawnee has now resigned
        • Out on maternity, then working PT in the evening
        • Along with the Faculty Club, this person supports other groups on campus
        • Turn around time for payment is been unacceptably long
          • Still can send requests to Shawnee until new hire is in place
        • The job is being posted this week
        • A new face may help to get the information out there, not happening as well currently

 

Socials

  • Discussing location and activity of May Members Board meeting
    • Point at Huntsman, location voted and passed
    • Date considered: May 7th
      • Will need to check with The Point
      • Appetizers at 6pm, Dinner at 6:30p, Dancing at 7:30p, done by 9pm
      • Business meeting at 7:15-ish
      • Joe will check with The Point re availability on 5/7, or possibly 5/9
    • Considering line dancing
    • This activity is good for the brain
  • Wine tasting
    • 30 attended
      • All faculty club members, number of new members
    • Great location (Eleanor’s house)
    • Had appetizers and chocolate (had chocolate tasting too!)
    • The tastings promoted conversation about topics and bonding. Was social lubrication
    • Had scoring card and voting at the end of the event
    • Cost
      • No bartender needed 2nd to low number
      • Cost was the cost of appetizers was about $100
      • Everyone brought their own wine
      • All these helped to keep the cost down
    • Considering another wine tasting in June, she has a great back yard
      • This might help everyone know that we will run year ‘round
      • Possibly a beer tasting instead
    • Feedback re socials
      • Some people have stopped coming 2nd to food being gone
      • Re quality of food at the Marriott, discussed sticking with their menu – they do this better
    • Basketball social on 2/10
      • Pizza dinner at 5:30 – 6:30p
      • Game at 7p
      • Carpool over
    • Chamber concert event
      • Tickets sold ahead, proceeds go to the Chamber music Society; on day of the event, goes to the U
    • Consider Babcock event during the summer
      • 6 attended last summer
    • Fast-pitch softball event
      • Season starts soon
      • 4/22,23,24 = PAC 12 games (Stanford)
      • Discussed possibly as faculty club event

 

Cabin update

  • Water is still an issue
    • Now there is a concern re purification
  • Spring / summer bash
    • Maybe middle May
    • Can bring in water
    • The Cabin can be a good hook
    • The publicity guys (Annalisa Purser and Bryan Rasmussen) feel The Cabin can be a good hook for the faculty club. They are planning to write an article re the Cabin – May 9th U wide newsletter then do the end of May/beginning of June
    • Need to coordinate with Perry Hacker re the date
    • John will contact Nate next week to check status of the Cabin to see how things are going

 

Treasurer’s Report

  • No formal report today

 

New Business

  • Elections
    • Need to have done by Membership meeting
    • Discussed potential members, they do need to be faculty
    • We can have ad hoc members
    • Dave is willing to stay on as Treasurer
    • Gillian is willing to stay on as Secretary
    • Judith is willing to stay on as President
    • These are all 3 year terms

 

Next meeting March 4th, 4 – 5p, Marriott Hotel

Meeting adjourned at 5:03pm